Wednesday, 19 December 2018

Tallaght (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 437-8

Tallaght in the barony of Newcastle and five miles from Dublin St Maelruan was abbot and bishop of Tallaght Is reckoned among the learned men of his age and probably was the first among the authors of the Martyrology of Tallaght Among his disciples for several years was Aengus the great Hagiologist St Maelruan died on the 7th of July AD 788 Here another bishop resided within five miles of Dublin AD 824 Saint Aengus was abbot This celebrated saint was of an illustrious family descended from the ancient princes of Dalaradia in Ulster His father was Aengaven son of Hoblen hence Aengus is distinguished by that surname He embraced the monastic state in the convent of Clonenagh under the holy abbot Moetlagen and made great progress in piety and learning He was accustomed to spend a great part of the day in a lonesome spot not far distant from the monastery called after him Diseart Aengus where he was engaged in reading the Psalms and in constant prayer His reputation for sanctity becoming very great he wished to withdraw to some place in which he would be unknown Having heard of the strict and exemplary discipline with which St Maelruan governed his monastery he resolved to put himself under his instruction and guidance When arrived at the monastery of Tallaght Aengus concealed his name and his rank in the Church and requested to be received as a novice It is said that he was employed seven years in the most laborious avocations and his humility and the austerity of his life were so remarkable that he was called Celle Dhia ie the servant or companion of God At length his rank and acquirements were discovered by St Maelruan in consequence of his having assisted one of the school boys of the monastery in preparing his task at which he had been either dull or negligent and who was afraid of being punished by St Maelruan The boy hid himself in the barn where Aengus was working and who taking compassion on the youth assisted him so well that he was enabled to recite his task to the satisfaction of his master Surprised at the change of his pupil Maelruan pressed him to tell how it came to pass and compelled him to relate the whole circumstance although Aengus desired him to be silent on the matter Maelruan who had hitherto considered Aengus as an illiterate rustic repaired to the barn and embracing him complained of having concealed his name and expressed his deep regret for the humble and abject manner with which he had been treated Aengus prostrating himself at the feet of the holy abbot begged pardon for what he had done Henceforth he was regarded with the greatest consideration and it is probable that he remained at Tallaght until Maelrnan's death in 788 He must then have succeeded to the abbacy of Tallaght He became afterwards the abbot of Clonenagh He was also raised to the episcopal rank without leaving the monasteries which he governed Aengus died on the 11th of March but in what year is not recorded and was buried at Clonenagh Besides the martyrology of Tallaght he composed another work on the saints of Ireland divided into five small books the first containing the names of three hundred and forty five bishops two hundred and ninety nine priests and abbots and seventy eight deacons the second entitled the Homonymous or saints of the same name as Colman &c the third the book of sons and daughters giving an account of holy persons born of the same parents the fourth giving the mater nal genealogy of about two hundred and ten Irish saints and the fifth a collection of litanies in which are invoked groups of saints among whom are included several foreigners who died in Ireland In this litany he specifies the very places in which they are interred and as it may be new as well as interesting on this side of the Atlantic the reader is presented with it in the Latin language SS Romanos qui jacent in Achadh Galma in Ybh Echia in auzilium mourn in toco per Jesum Christum etc SS Romanos de Lettir Erca invoco in auxilium meum etc SS Romanos qui cum Cursecha filia Brochani jacent in Achadh Dalrach invoco in auxilium meum etc SS Romanos de Cluainne Chuinne invoco etc SS Peregrinos de Cluaine mbhor etc SS Romanos qui cum Aido jacent in Cluan Darthada etc SS Conchennacios qui cum Sancto Manchano jacent in Leth mor etc SS Duodecim Conchennacios qui cum utroque Sinchello jacent in Kill Achadh SS Septem Monachos Aegyptios qui jacent in Disert Ulidh SS Peregrinos qui cum Sancto Mochua jacent in Domnach Ressen SS Peregrinos de Balach forchedail etc SS Peregrinos de Cuil ochtair etc SS Peregrinos de Imlcac mor etc SS Peregrinos socios sancti Sinchelli invoco etc SS Peregrinos Romanos qui in centum quinquaginta cymbis sive scaphis advecti comitati sunt SS Eliam Natalem Nemanum et Corcnutanum invoco etc SS centum quinquaginta Peregrinos Romanos et Italos qui comitati sunt sanctum Abbanum in Hiberniam etc SS Gallos de Saliduic invoco etc SS Gallos de Magh Salach invoco etc SS Saxones ie Anglos deRigair invoco etc SS Saxones de Cluain mhuicedha etc SS Peregrinos de Inis puinc etc SS duodecim Peregrinos de Lethglais mor SS centum quinquaginta Peregrinos in Gair mic Magla etc SS quinquaginta Monachos de Britannia socios fllii Mainani in Glenloire invoco in auxilium meum etc SS quinque Peregrinos de Suidhe coeil etc SS 150 Discipulos Sancti Manchani Magistri invoco etc SS 510 qui ex partibus transmarinia venerunt cum Sancto Boethio Episcopo decemque virgines cos comitantcs invoco SS duodecim socios sancti Riochi transmarinos invoco etc In addition to the evidence which this litany supplies of the ancient fame and sanctity of Ireland and of the esteem and veneration with which the natives of other countries regarded our isle as the asylum of piety and learning and hospitality there are all over the country monumental inscriptions which evidently demonstrate the truth which the litany of Aengus unfolds And although Ireland converted myriads in the sister isle and afforded hospitality to her princes and to her ascetics still England and England alone and wherever she has planted the false tenets of her heretical doctrines the name of Ireland and of Irishmen is despised While all over the continent of Europe Ireland and her people are revered and respected English Roman Italian Gallic and even Egyptian saints seven in number are recounted in the litany of Aengus Another work of his a poetical one comprises the history of the Old Testament which he put into the form of prayers and praises to God AD 889 died St Dichull There was an abbot of Louth of this name of whom St Patrick is said to have prophesied AD 937 died Laidgene comorb of Ferns and Tamlacht AD 964 died Cronmalius professor of this abbey AD 1125 died Maelsuthumius another professor

Wednesday, 12 December 2018

Allen's Hospital (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 429.

Allen's Hospital Walter archbishop of Dublin about the year 1500 granted a space of ground on which to build a stone house for ten poor men June 8th 1504 John Allen then dean of St Patrick's cathedral founded this hospital for sick poor to be chosen from the families of Allen Barret Begge Hill Dillon and Rodier in the diocese of Dublin and Meath and to be good and faithful catholics of good fame and honest conversation the dean assigned lands for their support and maintenance and further endowed the hospital with a messuage in the town of Duleek county of Meath The founder died January the 2d 1505

Hospital of St Stephen (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 428.

Hospital of St Stephen was situated in the south suburbs of the city and Mercer's charitable hospital has been erected on the site thereof January 30th 1344 a license was granted to Geoffrey de St Michael guardian of St Stephen's permitting him to go to foreign countries for the space of two years Nothing more known of the establishment Steyne Hospital Henry de Loundres archbishop of Dublin about the year 1220 founded this hospital in honor of God and St James in this place so called near the city of Dublin He endowed it with the lands of Kilmachurry Kilmalmahnock Slewardach and the church of Delgeny

The abbey of Carmelite or White friars (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 428.

The abbey of Carmelite or White friars In the year 1278 the Carmelite friars represented to King Edward I that by several grants of Roger Owen James de Bermingham and Nicholas Bacuir they had procured a habitation for themselves with certain tenements and other possessions within the city of Dublin and that they proposed to erect thereon a church the king by writ dated the 6th of November commanded the bailiffs and citizens of Dublin to permit the friars to inhabit the said place and build their church without let or hindrance The citizens obstinately opposed the friars shewing the many inconveniences that would arise from their petition Being thus defeated the Carmelites applied With more success to Sir Robert Bagot knight chief justice of the king's bench who built a monastery for them in the parish of St Peter in the south suburbs of the city on a site which he purchased from the abbey of Baltinglass in the county of Wicklow AD 1320 John Sugdaeus provincial of the Carmelite friars in Ireland held a chapter of the order AD 1333 the parliament sat in a hall of this monastery Among its benefactors were Richard II Henry IV and Henry VI from whom this house obtained a grant of 100 annually to be paid out of the customs of the city of Dublin William Kelly was the last prior and in the thirty fourth of Henry Vlil this convent with eleven acres nine houses gardens and orchards was granted to Nicholas Stanehurst at the annual rent of 2s 6d It was afterwards conceded by Elizabeth to Francis Aungier created baron of Longford in June 1621 The Carmelites have again established themselves in the metropolis of Ireland