Ecce Sacerdos Magnus
On Saturday morning, as many of us were attending the monthly Latin Mass in St. Joseph's Church, Berkeley Road, we heard of the death of the Right Reverend Monsignor John Moloney, P.E., who was the first and for more than a decade the Priest in Charge of the Traditional Latin Mass in the Archdiocese of Dublin.
A native of Knocklong, Co. Limerick, he studied at the Dominican College, Newbridge, Co. Kildare, and for the Priesthood in the Archdiocese of Dublin at Holy Cross College, Dublin, and in Rome, where he was ordained to the Priesthood on 13th July, 1941, and where he remained for a further 9 years after ordination. He was the Administrator of the Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, under the late Archbishop McQuaid, and then Parish Priest of the Three Patrons, Rathgar, until his retirement.
He was also chaplain to the Italian Community for many years. He contributed to the Sacred Heart Messenger for many years and wrote many devotional works. Monsignor Moloney was a noted musician and an inspiration for many vocations to the Priesthood. Non est inventus similis illi.